This chicken and vegetable broth with ginger is nourishing, simple to make and absolutely delicious. Roast chicken and vegetables come together for a nourishing, hearty, healing soup recipe. With red onion, carrot, cabbage, leeks, celery, celeriac and kale, ginger and fresh herbs, this is a great soup for when you’re feeling depleted. It’ll warm up your belly and support your immune system.
Bone broth and fertility
Bone broth offers a source of nutrients that can otherwise be lacking in our diets. The bones, skin and connective tissues are rich in protein, gelatine, collagen, glycine and minerals. Bones contain more minerals per gram than any other body tissue and broth made from bones is full of these minerals as they leach into the cooking liquid as it simmers.
Collagen and gelatine
These proteins are rich sources of glycine, which is essential to obtain from your diet during pregnancy. Glycine is an amino acid needed for foetal DNA and collagen synthesis. It also helps your body grow and adapt to pregnancy.
The best sources of glycine include bone broth, slow-cooked meat and skin-on, bone-in poultry. Bone broth offers an easy way of making sure you’re getting enough glycine. It’s relatively simply to make, but does take time and I consider it a bit of a faff.
That’s why I prefer to buy bone broth and my favourite brand is Freja. A good broth will solidify and gel when chilled because the prolonged simmering in water helps to release amino acids and collagen from cartilage-rich joints and Freja does that! The gelatine-rich broth yields beautiful body to any soups or sauces made from the broth, like this delicious chicken and vegetable broth with ginger.
Chicken and vegetable broth ingredients
- Chicken bone broth: I use Freja chicken bone broth.
- Vegetables: Use whatever vegetables you like, I use a mix of red onion, carrot, cabbage, leeks, celery, celeriac and kale. Shred your vegetables in a food processor with the grating attachment if you have one, or roughly grate with a box grater.
- Fresh root ginger: Ginger adds a warming, spicy kick.
- Roast chicken: Use two forks to shred four roast chicken breasts.
- Seasoning: Sea salt and cracked black pepper help enhance the flavours of the other ingredients.
- Herbs: Parsley and tarragon, roughly chopped for delicious, herby goodness.
How to make chicken and vegetable broth
This is the easiest soup recipe to make, there are just three simple steps:
- Boil: Place the stock in a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer: Add the vegetables and ginger and simmer for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Season: Add the chicken and bring back to the boil. Remove from the heat and season well. Sprinkle with the herbs to serve.
That’s it! Divide between serving bowls and enjoy.
Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Make a double batch and freeze in silicone trays for up to three months.
More delicious soup recipes to try
- Broccoli soup
- Creamy celery soup
- Easy pea-sy soup
- Roast tomato and red pepper soup
- Sweet potato soup with chermoula-roasted chickpeas
Chicken and vegetable broth with ginger
- 2.5 litres chicken bone broth
- 400 g shredded vegetables (mix of red onion, carrot, cabbage, leeks, celery, celeriac, kale)
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) fresh root ginger finely grated
- 500 g shredded roast chicken
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh tarragon
- Place the stock in a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the vegetables and ginger and simmer for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the chicken and bring back to the boil. Remove from the heat and season well. Sprinkle with the herbs to serve.