This creamy celery soup is healthy, fresh, delicious and light. It can easily be vegan, and it’s gluten-free and dairy-free (thanks to a little coconut milk). A swirl of salsa verde adds vibrant, punchy goodness.
Yes, it’s a creamy celery soup, but don’t let the creamy part fool you, because it’s dairy-free. Coconut milk is responsible for its delicious creaminess.
And the best thing? Celery soup is a super easy recipe. Basically, it’s a simple combination of celery, leek and onion. Firstly, sauté the diced veggies with garlic for 10 minutes, secondly, simmer with chicken or vegetable bone broth. After that, transfer to a high-speed blender for a silky soup or use a stick blender to blend right in the pan for a chunkier consistency.
While the soup is simmering, you can make the salsa verde. Salsa verde is a flavour-packed, punchy, vibrant green sauce made from just 6 ingredients:
I use a mix of fresh parsley, basil and chives, but you can use whatever herbs you like best.
For a tangy, lemony burst of flavour.
2 cloves for a punchy garlicky flavour.
You can use other types of vinegar, but I prefer sherry vinegar. Its well-rounded flavour works beautifully in this recipe.
Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil like my favourite from Erbology.
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
To balance out the flavours. Use sea salt rather than table salt. Cracked black pepper is more flavourful than ground.
It couldn’t be easier to make salsa verde. Simply, place the ingredients in a food processor and process to a chunky consistency. That’s it! You can serve immediately, or let it sit for 10 minutes to allow the flavours to meld together.
Pour your soup into bowls and drizzle with salsa verde and sprinkle with black pepper to serve. Et voila! A delicious, warming bowl of creamy celery soup with salsa verde.
This recipe only requires 2 tablespoons of salsa verde, here’s what you can do with the leftovers:
- Baked cod with salsa verde
- Use as a topping for cauliflower pizza crust instead of tomato sauce
- Toss through courgette noodles for a refreshing veggie side
More soup recipes to try
- Easy pea-sy soup
- Sweet potato soup with chermoula roasted chickpeas
- Roast tomato and red pepper soup
- Broccoli soup
- Roasted sweet potato soup
I hope you enjoy this creamy celery soup recipe. If you make it, let me know how it turned out. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below, or post in The Fertility Kitchen Community.
Creamy celery soup
- 2 tbsp salsa verde (see notes)
- Cracked black pepper
- Place the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, leek, celery and salt and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender with the coconut milk. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Divide between serving bowls and top with a swirl of salsa verde and a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Erbology extra virgin olive is high quality and my favourite olive oil. Use the code charlotte15 for 15% off your order.
- My preferred brand of bone broth (stock) is Freja, they sell chicken broth, beef broth, fish broth and vegan broth. Use the code THEFERTILITYKITCHEN for £5 off your entire order.
- This recipe calls for 2 tbsp of salsa verde. Make a full batch and use leftovers on cauliflower pizza crust, make baked cod with salsa verde, or toss through courgette noodles.