This blackberry smoothie is not only creamy, sweet and delicious, it’s loaded with vitamins and antioxidants. Made from just a handful of ingredients including coconut water, blackberries, protein powder, yoghurt and flaxseeds, it’ll become one of your favourite healthy smoothie recipes.
Blackberry smoothie ingredients
The best thing about smoothies is they require just a handful of fresh (or frozen!) ingredients. Here’s what you need for this delicious blackberry smoothie:
- Coconut water: I prefer raw coconut water – see if you can find the brand Rebel Kitchen. Raw coconut water is from young green coconuts and is pink in colour and is extracted from coconuts using pressure rather than heat. This means it doesn’t lose its naturally occurring antioxidants or electrolyte minerals which would be destroyed with heat extraction. If you don’t like coconut water, or can’t find raw coconut water use water (preferably filtered) instead. Then add electrolytes to your smoothie, just add one capful and blend with the other ingredients. Shop via this link for 15% discount with the coupon code TFK.
- Frozen blackberries: Blackberries are out of season for most of the year so I use frozen blackberries. If you’re making this smoothie in late summer then you should definitely try to pick your own for this smoothie. Don’t worry if you pick more than you need because fresh blackberries can be frozen for later.
- Avocado: Use half, then chop the other half and freeze it for another day. Avocado adds creaminess like a banana does but without the sugar and with the added benefit of healthy fats. If you’re used to very sweet-tasting smoothies then use half a banana instead.
- Vanilla protein powder: Adding protein powder is a great way to make a smoothie more nourishing, otherwise they can be lacking in protein and won’t keep you full and satisfied. My recommended brand is Nuzest Clean Lean Protein in Smooth Vanilla flavour. If you’re not keen on vanilla they also do a flavourless option called Just Natural – this is a versatile option if you plan on adding it to other things.
- Yoghurt: Use a yoghurt of your choice – either full fat Greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt (with minimal ingredients).
- Milled flaxseeds: For added fibre, I like the brand Linwoods because they’re organic and cold-pressed.
How to make a blackberry smoothie
Smoothies make the quickest grab-and-go breakfast because you can make them in just one step. Simply place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until thick and creamy.
More smoothie recipes to try
I hope you enjoy this blackberry smoothie recipe. If you make it, let me know how it turned out. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below, or post in The Fertility Kitchen Community.
- Place the coconut water, blackberries, avocado, protein powder, yoghurt and flaxseeds in a blender and blend until thick and creamy.
- If you use water instead of coconut water, add a capful of electrolytes. Use the code TFK for 15% discount.