This green smoothie is a simple, healthy, and nutrient-rich smoothie recipe. A smoothie is a great way to sneak leafy greens into your fertility diet if you’re not a fan. You will come to think of this as your everyday green smoothie recipe you can return to repeatedly.
Green smoothie ingredients
- Milk: Use your favourite milk for this recipe, the creamier the better, so if you’re using cow’s milk opt for full fat organic. If you’re using a plant milk, cashew milk is the creamiest, but you can also use oat or almonds – remember to look for a brand with minimal ingredients (ideally just two – the nut/grain and water!), avoiding sunflower oil, emulsifiers and sweeteners.
- Baby leaf spinach: Spinach, as a leafy green vegetable is especially beneficial for fertility because it’s crammed with essential nutrients such as calcium, folate, iron and vitamin K1, as well as fibre. It also contain carotenoids, which are particularly concentrated in the ovaries where they protect your egg cells against oxidative stress.
- Banana: Frozen banana helps make this smoothie thick and creamy.
- Apple: An apple adds sweetness, you could also use pineapple.
- Avocado: Avocado adds creaminess and healthy fats.
- Protein powder: Adding protein powder is a great way to make a smoothie more nourishing, otherwise they can be lacking in protein and won’t keep you full and satisfied. My recommended brand is Nuzest Clean Lean Protein in Smooth Vanilla flavour. If you’re not keen on vanilla they also do a flavourless option called Just Natural – this is a versatile option if you plan on adding it to other things.
- Green powder: Adding a nutrient-dense green powder to your smoothie is a great way to help fill in nutrient gaps and imperfections in your diet. Nuzest Good Green Vitality is my favourite green powder.
How to make a green smoothie
It’s very simple really! Just place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, thick and creamy.
More smoothie recipes to try
I hope you enjoy this green smoothie recipe. If you make it, let me know how it turned out. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below, or post in The Fertility Kitchen Community.
Best green smoothie
- Place the milk, spinach, banana, apple, avocado, protein powder and greens powder in a blender and blend until smooth.