Serve up a delicious bowl of colour with this easy spicy burrito bowl. Full of nutrients, it provides three portions of veggies, and delicious, flaky cod marinated in a spicy sauce. It’s an easy meal prep throw-together that’s flavourful, filling, and all-round healthy. This burrito bowl tastes just as good as it looks. Just prep your ingredients, layer everything together, and don’t forget a heap of fresh mango salsa.
Spicy burrito bowl ingredients
- Cod fillets: Use skinless and boneless for this recipe.
- Marinade: Mix together olive oil, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper to make a spicy marinade to flavour the fish.
- Mango salsa: This vibrant salsa brings a burst of freshness to this burrito bowl, it’s made from avocado, red onion, mango, cucumber, fresh coriander, fresh lime juice and a pinch of sea salt.
- Salad: Finely sliced radishes, red and white cabbage, shredded – you can shred this using a grater, potato peeler or mandoline slicer.
- Cooked basmati brown rice: Either buy this ready-cooked, or cook your own, it doesn’t take long! I like to soak my rice before cooking is this improves digestibility. But don’t worry it’s not essential. Here’s how to cook rice perfectly.
- Coconut yoghurt: A dollop of yoghurt helps balance the heat and warmth of the spicy cod. You can use full fat dairy yoghurt or Greek yoghurt if you prefer.
- Pumpkin and sunflower seeds: For extra nutrition and crunch factor. If you have time, toast the seeds by dry-frying them in a frying pan over a high heat for a few minutes, stirring continuously. This brings extra flavour to the meal.
How to make this spicy burrito bowl
It couldn’t be easier! You just need to prep the different elements and then layer them up into a bowl. Before you get started, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking tray with plastic-free parchment. Then follow these three easy steps:
- Flavour and bake the fish: Place the fish on the prepared tray. Then, place the olive oil, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper in a small jug and whisk to combine. Drizzle over the fish and bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Make the salsa: Place the avocado, onion, mango, cucumber, coriander, lime juice and salt in a small bowl and toss to combine.
- Assemble: Divide the salad, rice and salsa between serving bowls and top with the cooked fish. Add a dollop of coconut yoghurt and sprinkle with seeds to serve.
Lunchbox burrito bowl
Double up the recipe and enjoy a second portion for lunch the next day. You know I’m a fan of the cook once, eat twice philosophy – it just makes so much sense. Whenever you can, double up your recipes and store in the fridge or freeze for an easy meal on another day, your future self will thank you! For this one, I recommend eating leftovers the next day, or if you want to keep it a little longer, then store the different elements in separate airtight containers in the fridge and make the salsa fresh.
If you’re making extra to eat for lunch tomorrow then squeeze the mango salsa with extra lime juice and make sure to pack it tightly in an airtight container to help prevent browning of the avocado. The salsa will only keep for an extra day, so if you’re saving extras for a few days time then I also recommend making fresh salsa.
More bowl recipes to try
Other cod recipes to try
Easy fish recipes to try
- Easy baked salmon ratatouille
- Tikka salmon skewers
- Spiced salmon tray bake
- Miso salmon
- Strawberry, spinach and salmon salad
I hope you enjoy this spicy burrito bowl recipe. If you make it, let me know how it turned out. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below, or post in The Fertility Kitchen Community.
Spicy burrito bowl
For the fish
- 2 x 150 g skinless boneless cod fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the mango and avocado salsa
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- ½ small red onion finely chopped
- ¼ fresh mango diced
- ½ small cucumber diced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ tsp sea salt
For the salad
- ¼ each of red and white cabbage shredded
- 4 radishes finely sliced
- 250 g cooked basmati brown rice
- 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt to serve
- 2 tbsp pumpkin and sunflower seeds to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking tray with plastic-free parchment and place the fish on the tray.
- Place the olive oil, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper in a small jug and whisk to combine. Drizzle over the fish and cook for 12-15 minutes until cooked through.
- To make the salsa, place the avocado, onion, mango, cucumber, coriander, lime juice and salt in a small bowl and toss to combine.
- Divide the salad, rice and salsa between serving bowls and top with the cooked fish. Add a dollop of coconut yoghurt and sprinkle with seeds to serve.