This courgetti spaghetti bolognese is reminiscent of an Italian beef ragu, but better. Fresh courgette noodles are warmed up with a layer of rich Indian-style bolognese, then topped with parsley and parmesan. It’s an easy weeknight meal you’re gonna love!
It’s a simple combination of courgette noodles and bolognese sauce (with a flavourful twist). And instead of using a store-bought pasta sauce, we’re making it from scratch today. But don’t worry. It’s easier than you think.
What is bolognese?
When you hear bolognese, you’re probably thinking of a meaty tomato sauce. But, it’s much more than that. It transforms minced beef into something rich and tasty.
Traditional Italian bolognese may include vegetables such carrot and celery, in addition to the meat, onions, and tomatoes. But since we’re serving the bolognese sauce on top of vegetables today, we’re keeping the beef simple yet flavourful.
Easy, simple bolognese
Ditch store-bought pasta sauce and give this homemade version a try for fresh, flavour-packed goodness. Here’s how to make it:
Heat the oil in a pan. Saute the onions for 5 minutes until soft, add the garlic and chilli and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Cook the beef. Turn the heat to high, add the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
Mix everything together. Add curry powder, tamari and tomatoes, cook for a minute, then add kale and wilt. Mix it all together and you’re done!
The best courgette noodle spaghetti bolognese
Now that your bolognese is ready, all you need to do is spiralize and lightly cook the courgette. Choose one of these methods:
- Sauté the courgetti with a drizzle of olive oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Blanch in a bowl of just boiled water for one minute.
Divide the courgetti between serving plates, add a handful of rocket, top with a big spoonful of the bolognese sauce and sprinkle with grated parmigiano reggiano to serve. Voila – courgetti spaghetti dinner!
More quick and easy dinners to try
- Rainbow pad Thai
- Spiced salmon tray bake
- Baked cod with salsa verde
- Easy chilli chicken
- Ultimate vegan chilli
- Coconut cauliflower curry
More courgetti recipes to try
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy bolognese meal. If you make this courgetti spaghetti bolognese, let me know how it turned out. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below, or post in The Fertility Kitchen Community.
Courgetti spaghetti bolognese
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 long red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 500 g grass-fed beef mince or organic free-range turkey mince
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp tamari see notes
- 200 g chopped tomatoes
- 6 kale leaves stalks removed and leaves finely chopped
- 4 courgettes (zucchini) spiralized
- Parmigiano reggiano, grated or nutritional yeast flakes
- 4 large handfuls of rocket (arugula) leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Turn the heat to high and add the mince, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Add the curry powder, tamari and tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until wilted.
- Meanwhile, blanch the spiralised courgette in a bowl of just boiled water for 1 minute and then drain.
- Divide the courgette noodles between serving bowls and top with the bolognese and a handful of rocket per serve. Sprinkle with parmesan to serve.